Mexican Insurance Questions

There are many Mexican insurance questions that arise when considering driving to Mexico. The differences between Mexico and U.S. insurance is significant and those differences often cause confusion.

Does offer insurance for Mexican Rental Cars?

Great question. We offer insurance for Rentals cars as long as they are registered in the United States or Canada. However, we cannot write Mexican insurance for a vehicle with Mexican registration.

Back to Top

Do we need passports to cross the border?

There is a different way to cross the border and some confusion regarding the new laws and requirements for each mode of the crossing. First, the travel by air and ship has different requirements than foot/vehicle crossing. Consequently, we will address only the requirements for crossing by land (walk/drive). Since June 2009 is required to have a passport or passport card to cross back into the United States by land. Be wise, and get your passport or passport card.

Back to Top

Does my American insurance cover me in Mexico?

In short, NO. There are some American insurance companies who extend CERTAIN coverage into Mexico. Specifically, the coverages for theft and medical. However, 3rd Party Liability can only be provided by a Mexican insurance company. This is where the legal requirements come in. You MUST show at minimum LIABILITY ONLY coverage from a Mexican company. However, if you speak with your domestic insurance agent you might be able to save some money and complement your domestic coverage with a liability package from us. You can purchase Liability Only and Complete Coverage packages here.

Back to Top

Can I speak to someone in the United States, in English?

Yes, you can call our office at 858.663.6453. As a brokerage offering insurance from Mexican companies, we can answer your coverage questions but if you are in an accident you must report your accident in Mexico to the insurance company so that they can assist you immediately.

Back to Top

What is the “Increased Liability” option?

Increased liability (Combined Single Limit or CSL) is the option of increasing the standard $300,000US liability coverage offered with our standard package. This coverage (Risk 3) is the maximum amount the insurance company will pay to cover damage to a third party caused by you and/or any listed driver on the policy with permission to drive the vehicle. The maximum liability limit offered is $1,000,000.

Back to Top

What is the “Business Use” option?

If you are using the listed vehicle for business plans while in Mexico, or if this vehicle is owned by a company you must select this option. All business vehicles are assessed a 20% premium surcharge.

Back to Top

How secure is my credit card transaction?

As an elite online brokerage for Mexico Insurance, we understand the risks out there with regard to identity theft and fraud. All transaction processing that involves personally identifiable information is encrypted. So, the Internet tunnel your browser uses to talk with our server we force to use an encrypted Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) tunnel. In conclusion, we are very conscious and alert to the risks, and focus a significant amount of our time ensuring proper data handling systems.

Back to Top

What is the “Towed Units” option?

When you attach a unit to an insured vehicle, your insurance policy considers this towed unit a part of your vehicle and it must be listed. Failure to list a towed unit can result in the denial of any claim submitted to Qualitas.

Back to Top

What is the difference between Liability Only and Complete Coverage options?

The Liability Only policy covers Risks 3, 4 and 5 (Third-party liability, Medical Payments, and Legal Aid). This is the legal requirement in Mexico.

The Complete Coverage policy also includes coverage for Risks 1 and 2 (Collision and Comprehensive). This is required by most auto finance companies for travel into Mexico. We are recognized and accepted by all auto finance companies including GMAC, Toyota Financial, Honda Motor Credit, Ford Motor Credit, Capital One Auto Finance, and many many more (all of them).

*Motorcycle type vehicles do not include Risk 4, medical payments.

Back to Top

Is there a Mexican Number for traffic information?

Telnor offers this info-line: (*427472) asterisk-GARITA.

Back to Top

What is the Sentri lane?

The Sentri Lane is a special lane at the border for trusted travelers. As such, the admittance to the program is highly restricted and controlled by unknown entities within the ICE. The telephone number for appointments is (619) 661-3170 or you can access the online information here: ICE Sentri

Back to Top

Do you have a list of important phone numbers?

  • Red Cross Tijuana 065
  • Red Cross Rosarito 066
  • Police 060
  • Fire Department 068
  • CESP (Water Dept.) 073
  • Time (exact hour) 030
  • Information 040
  • Collect Calls 090
  • Federal Highway (664)682-5285
  • Tourist assistance (661)612-0200
  • Tourist Assist Baja 078

Back to Top

How can you tell the police apart?

Federal Police

When you drive on any Federal road these are the officers who address traffic incidents. Their distinctive black and white cars are easy to identify. They have authority on the roads between cities and towns, or on open highways. You might see them setup on the side of the road with high powered weapons ensuring the security to the upcoming town.

State Police

Identified by the words Vialidad y Transportes on the sides of their cars. These State Trooper police supervise all commercial vehicles and are clearly marked in white, yellow and blue vehicles. They do not handle normal traffic tickets or accidents.

Municipal Police

These officers enforce all driving traffic conditions around town. Please see our blog article on the new Mail-in tickets that are being issued in Northern Baja areas. These tickets allow for a traffic citation to be mailed in, instead of paid on the spot or at the station.

Back to Top

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.