Mexican Vehicle Permit

A Mexican vehicle permit is not necessary for travel to Baja or the Free Zone. But outside of Baja and beyond the Free Zone, you need it. For questions on Vehicle Permits contact Banjercito Directly 011-52-555-626-0500 x2637, or start your application process here: Banjercito Vehicle Permit

Free Zone Map

How to Get a Car Permit for Mexico

It is easy to apply on the Banjercito website for a vehicle permit.  Registration is a straightforward process and the temporary permit will come to your home address.  Travelers may request a permit as early as 60 days from their proposed trip to Mexico; however, the agency requires at least ten days’ notice to complete the application process.  If you do not choose the mail option, you may pick up your vehicle permit at a Banjercito office at the time you cross into Mexico.

Car Permit for Mexico: Pre-Register Online

Cars, RVs, boats—these vehicles may be pre-registered with Banjercito.  You can complete the application and payment ahead of time online. Pre-registering means spending less time waiting at a Banjercito office at the border. Travelers who already have a temporary permit in hand will breeze through the process. You can cut your time in half.   Banjercito staff will also explain the importance of returning the vehicle permit and stickers. Before you return to the US, stop in at the Banjercito office in person and get your deposit back.

Permit Fees and Deposit Costs

Depending on the type of vehicle, the Mexican driving permit cost can vary.  Cars cost a $44 non-refundable fee.  When making payment, you will also have to pay a deposit which can be as much as $400.  The high deposit rate helps enforce the return of the sticker when you leave Mexico.  Deposit fees are subject to the year of your vehicle.  To find out more about the fees and deposits, visit the Banjercito website.

Required Information and Documents

When obtaining a driving permit from Banjercito, travelers must present documents that demonstrate citizenship such as their passport, certificate of naturalization, or resident alien card.  In addition to your car registration and Mexican Car Insurance, you must also present the original title (Pink Slip). Banjercito will ask for the car’s VIN number, your form of payment, the number of people who will be driving in the vehicle and your address should they need to mail your vehicle permit.  Aside from this information, expect to inform Banjercito of your travel dates.   Travelers that lease or rent a car must present their lease or rental contract, with a permission letter from the lienholder.

More Information about Banjercito

The Banjercito website is especially helpful and travelers can generally find all the information they need to register and understand the requirements.  Visitors can also find out information from a Banjercito office at their border crossing.  In order to get your substantial deposit back from Banjercito, be sure to return your permit to a Banjercito office; this requirement is strict and drivers who fail to do so risk losing their benefit or having to drive back to Mexico!  If you aren’t sure if your planned Mexican destination requires a driving permit, be sure to contact Banjercito; they will inform you with more specific information related to your travel plans.

In addition to your Vehicle Permit, don’t forget your Mexican Car Insurance from! Get a quick quote here!

5 Responses to Mexican Vehicle Permit